Friday, December 5, 2008

Survival of the Fittest

Capitalism represents the epitome of the "survival of the fittest" theory. At least, it is supposed to. Weak companies dissolve. Strong companies flourish. That is how it is supposed to be. This is what comes to my mind when I think about the bailout of the big three.

I am also reminded of the nature shows I sometimes watch on National Geographic or other stations. I often hear the folks talking about how sad they were when they saw the lion was all alone and sick and about to die. These folks want so badly to rescue the lion from its death, but they don't. They stand aside and watch it die even though it is a difficult thing for these nature-lovers to do. They do this because they know it is more important to let life take its path, to let nature carry on its purpose.

The government should learn a lesson from these folks. In this capitalistic society that we have formed and value so greatly, each business has to fend for itself. In the end, it is most beneficial to our society when the weak businesses die off and the strong survive. This is because it is the strong companies that offer the greatest value to society. The government would be doing a disservice to the people of this nation if it bailed out weak (rescued) companies from their self-inflicted demise. The demise of the weak companies helps strong companies emerge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Great article. It concure as well.